In the 1920s, when radio manufacturing was in
its infancy, a young man in Ann Arbor, Michigan
started making radios. Charles Verschoor didn't
make his mark on the radio world, however, until
1931 when he started the International Radio
Corporation. One of his first products was a
diminutive little radio with a plastic case, the
Kadette. The compact size of the radio was
accomplished by using an innovative new circuit,
one which strung all the tubes in series like
Christmas tree lights. This set, which would
operate on either AC or DC current no longer
required a power transformer, and that made it
lighter , smaller, and cheaper than the other
sets on the market.
Its plastic case was noteworthy as well.
Manufactured for International Radio by the
Chicago Molded Products Co., it marked the
beginning of a new era in cabinet design by
being the first set housed in plastic. Its
design was rather traditional, having a strong
Gothic look with arches on the front of the
case. The radio was a hit with the American
public, and its popularity led to the almost
immediate profitability of International Radio.
Within two years, International Radio was the
only Ann Arbor corporation that was still paying
dividends to its shareholders.